Sunday, February 3, 2013

Week 3 Training Recap

I could sense that you were getting tired of all of my awesome runs, so I think I got a healthy dose of karma kicking ass this week.

My training from two weeks ago and from last week for the Brisbane Twilight half were night and day. If two weeks ago was characterized by "gas in the tank, felt great, tough but good" this week would be summarized simply by one word: shit.

Don't get me wrong- I know that not every run will be awesome and that's just part of the deal, but one decent run and 2 absolutely terrible ones made for a pretty low running confidence week.

Here's how they broke down:

Tuesday: 3 x 1600s at a 7:50 pace. That's a really aggressive pace for me, but I managed to hold on and get through all three intervals. I don't know if my legs were just really "trashed" (I see that as a running term on other people's blogs so I'm going to go ahead and use it) or if I was tired or what, but I skipped the Wednesday tempo and pushed it to Thursday, opting for a rest day on Wednesday.

Thursday: 5 mile tempo run at 8:25 pace. HA. If you'd seen me on Thursday morning trying to attempt this you would have laughed. I got up super early (for me that's 5:30) and was at the gym by 6 am. You know those runs where you step onto the treadmill and within 30 seconds know if it's going to be a good run or not? Yeah, first step that happened. I was determined to try to make it work, but about 1 1/2 miles in I just couldn't.

So I grabbed a cup of coffee, walked to the gym closer to work and figured I'd try again, hoping that the caffeine would provide some assistance.

Wrong. Another mile down and I was about ready to throw in the towel. I managed to do some 400 intervals to get me to 4.5 miles and then I just called it a day. Fail.

Saturday: 10 mile long run. Double HA. I woke up and it was raining again in Sydney (seems standard these days). What did I do? Download some more Mindy Project episodes, don my compression socks and make a bag of craisins for fuel. Got through just over 3 miles and wanted to die, so attempted to run 5 minutes, walk 1 1/2 minutes. After 2 more miles I quit.

And then tried to run outside in the rain. Turns out I hate running in the rain as much as I imagined I would, so after 2 more miles (7 total) I scrapped it.

After some tears (yep, that kind of girl) and some stretching and a rest day today, I'm hoping this week will be better. I'm going to do some yoga tomorrow for another semi-rest day and will plan on attacking Tuesday full steam ahead.

What goes down must go up again at some point, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS