Saturday, February 2, 2013

Feb Fast

Last night, I went out with a bang.

KB and Michaela (the other girls in this pic) are doing FebFast, too!
What was I going out of? Drinking. Don't worry, not forever- just for the rest of February.

My roommate told me about FebFast and I decided it would be a great challenge for me for the month. Might help with the clothes not fitting thing, too. FebFast is an Australian charity group that essentially asks people to give up alcohol for the month of February. If you drink, you are asked to give the charity a $50 donation. It's all honor system based obviously but still a good accountability check if you ask me.

They've got a pretty nifty calculator on their site that lets you see how much money you're blowing on alcohol each month. Pretty crazy to see it all add up (and I hope you get the idea about how expensive it is to drink here in Sydney!) I'm thinking of donating 20-25% of my hypothetical alcohol spendings to the cause, because it does look like a great charity. Lord knows the Aussies probably have some drinking problems with the consuming they can do.

I didn't sign up online because it costs money to sign up online (hello, no!) but there are a number of people doing it at work as well as my roommate. We've decided that for every drink we have Feb 3-March 2 we'll have to put $10 into a kitty. At the end of this we'll take the money and buy drinks.

You must be asking yourself "so why did you drink on February 2 then?" Great question. I'm asking myself that same question at 3 pm the next day as my head pounds on and on and on. Essentially, I already had 2 birthday parties on the calendar that I just *couldn't* not drink for (insert sarcasm, of course I could have chosen not to) and my roommate had a similar situation, so we both agreed we'd do it until March 2.

So yeah, this happened:


Don't worry, those aren't all mine. Happy hour was ending in 5 minutes so we all stocked up. Part of being able to afford Sydney is knowing all of the deals. Every drink on that table is $5, and the prices go up significantly after happy hour. Gotta plan accordingly!

I'm excited to see how I do on this challenge. So far pretty much all of my social outings revolve around alcohol, so I know it will be a challenge. BUT I think it'll be pretty cool to say that I made it at the end. And I'm looking forward to not being hungover for at least a month (preferably never again).




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS