Friday, December 21, 2012

Miles to go before I sleep

Moving sucks. No other way to say it-- I once moved apartments that were half a mile away from each other and it was still an experience I'd like to forget. I'm a big packrat and somehow my stuff seems to multiply each time I move. Add to that that I don't have the patience to delicately wrap each glass, plate and frame -- means you usually find a pretty grumpy Elliott during the weeks leading up to a move.

But moving to the other side of the world has thrown in a few more things "to do" than simply shove things in a couple of boxes. I'm not sure I know all of things that I need to do before saying goodbye to Uncle Sam (and the fiscal cliff) for a year, but in Type A fashion I started a list of things that I could start with:

  • Cancel gym membership - DONE! Must easier than I thought- although it will take a month to cancel, I was totally expecting some sort of sales pitch for why I should keep it active


  • Add Mom and Dad to bank account- after a rather unpleasant experience trying to transfer money from my US account to an Aussie account, my bank told me it'd probably be easier to add the parentals to my account so they could do things on my behalf. A bit weird? Yes. But feel free to slip any spare change in the account anytime you want M and D!
  • Figure out Verizon account- my brother, sister and I share a family plan right now so I don't want them stuck with  a higher bill all of a sudden, but I guess I have been paying 1/3 of a bill that I haven't used for awhile now. We used a grand total of 149 minutes (between the three of us) last month, so perhaps they should drop down to paying per minute or something. I'm sure this will be a battle
  • Forward my mail - DONE! Thanks M and D
  • Get rid of Comast! - I am the most excited about this- the bill has crept up each cycle by a few dollars to the point where I feel like I'm paying a small fortune for the ability to watch Bravo, HGTV and TLC. Sayonara, you've been terrible!
  • Find movers- DONE! I was browsing LivingSocial's website today and came across a moving deal- in the end it's only about $65 off, but a penny is a penny, right?
  • Find a storage unit- DONE! Surprisingly easy, and they also had a deal for half off if you purchased by today and moved stuff in by end of next week. Score!
  • Figure out what to take and what to leave - Umm, hard. I want everything with me, but I know I only need about 1/8 of it. I know I want to take my duvet cover and two little Etsy prints that I love for my new room, but I'm trying to restrain myself with everything else. Really telling myself that no, I don't need those sparkly heels or the rainboots with whales on them. Maybe.

  • Actually pack. This will probably happen the morning of the 5th in a frantic manner.
What am I missing? Surely there's something big I gotta do that I'll find out about a few months in and be SOL?








No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS