Thursday, January 17, 2013

Taking the Bus???

Isn't it funny how there are different cultural perceptions wherever you go?

Take riding the bus as an example-- in DC it's reserved for (mostly sketchy) areas that don't have access to the Metro system. They're dirty, they don't run on time, and you've got to watch your bag really close while you're on them.

I'll admit that I was skeptical of the buses here in Sydney based on my perceptions. It wasn't until my sister came to visit about 3 months into my trip that I took a bus. And guess what-- it was clean, efficient and got us where we need to go. Here in Sydney the metro doesn't connect a large part of the city, so EVERYONE takes the bus. It's normal.

This week there's another American in the office visiting and on our way to dinner on Wednesday I told him we had to take the bus. He stopped dead in his tracks. "The BUS? Are you serious? Do we have to?" No exaggeration, I promise.

I assured him it would be ok (and that it was the bus or a $50 cab ride) and just like I expected, he survived. So much so that he said he'd take the bus again.

Don't judge a book by a cover? I think so.

1 comment:

  1. ha! big steps coming from a girl who refused to take the metro the first year in DC :) Buses > walking on 100 degree days!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS